Mesh Combine Studio is an advanced and feature rich automatic cell based mesh combiner which can significantly to dramatically improve the performance of your game. It can be used on any type of game for any platform.
We use MCS technology in our game D.R.O.N.E. for our modular Arena Editor and without it we would only get 1-3 fps.
Instead of manually combining meshes, which is very tedious, MCS will do this automatically for you and the performance improvements it gives cannot be achieved with manual combining. Just simple drag and drop a MCS prefab in your Scene and tweak some values to your specific needs and you are ready to go.
MCS can give up to 20x better performance compared to Unity’s static batching. The smaller the to combining meshes are the more performance improvement it gives. It works great on systems that use modular meshes as well as static objects like buildings, props, rocks, etc. MCS has a unique features to remove geometry that is never visible to the camera.
Not only are the draw calls greatly reduced, but since MCS combines meshes into cells, it dramatically improves culling performance as well. Less objects need to be culled, z-sorted and LOD switched. MCS has automatic LOD compatibility. LODs are switched per cell which give better performance and less LOD popping.
Here is a demo build of an example Scene from a popular modular Asset called Dungeon Architect. MCS boosts performance about 2170%! (from 37 to 805 fps) on my Nvidia 980TI compared to Unity’s batching:
MCS Dungeon Architect demo
- Supports >Unity 5.1, 2017.x, 2018.x, 2019.x and 2020.x.
- Supports all platforms (PC, Mac, Linux, Android, IOS, WebGL, etc).
- Supports Standard Rendering, URP and HDRP.
- Supports all mesh formats that Unity supports (.fbx, .obj, .dea, 3ds, .skp, etc).
- Easy to use, simple and self explaining Inspector with tool-tips.
- Reduces Draw Calls
- Advanced and performant multi-threaded combine job manager with lowest memory overhead possible and GC friendly.
- Supports cell based mesh combining, which is optimal for culling, z-sorting and LOD switching.
- Can be used as a faster alternative to Unity’s static batching and can give significant to drastic performance improvements.
- Fully automated combining like Unity’s static batching (but with more options), no tedious manually combining and get results in a few clicks.
- Extensive lightmapping support for realtime and baked GI.
- Save lightmap texture space and memory by removing geometry.
- Automatic LOD compatibility. LODs are switched per cell which give better performance and less LOD popping.
- No vertex or triangle increase compared to original meshes.
- Remove geometry that is under any surface (terrain and/or meshes). E.g. for rocks this can reduce +35% of the geometry.
- Remove overlapping geometry with its extension MCS Caves and Overhangs, which can reduce 60-75% of the geometry together with below terrain removal.
- Remove backface culling geometry on the background geometry (which the camera can never see). This can reduce +50% of the geometry by itself and +80% with the inside and below terrain removal.
- Original GameObjects components keep working, e.g. scripts, colliders, etc.
- Automatically switches between rendering combined or original GameObjects and can be easily reverted.
- Combine in Editor and/or Runtime.
- Combine dynamic meshes (Multiple meshes for one moving part can be combined into one mesh).
- Supports negative scaling and double shadows.
- Runtime console to test and find the fastest combining settings (a build is the way to test true performance gains, which are higher than in Unity Editor).
- Multiple MCS prefabs can be used for different settings, e.g. different cell sizes, removal of geometry, etc.
- Extensive search conditions which GameObjects with meshes to include. The right filtering can increase the performance boost and save memory.
- Source code included.
- Runtime API.